|No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. Contest begins 7/21/02 and ends 9/9/02. Open to kids, 5-18 years of age, residing in the US,
wherever the Sports Authority stores are located. For details visit The Sports Authority or www.thesportsauthority.com.
The Sports Authority "Coach of the Year" Essay Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. This contest will run only in the following states: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NY, NC, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, and DC (the “contest area”).
1. How to enter: Write an essay of no more than 100 words, explaining why your current or previous athletic coach should be The Sports Authority’s “Coach of the Year.” Attach your essay to a properly completed official entry form, or you may handprint your name, complete address, age, daytime phone number of your parent or legal guardian, name of sport, coach you are nominating and store location on a 3”x5” piece of paper and attach it to your essay. Deposit your completed entry in The Sports Authority’s “Coach of the Year” Contest display box at your local The Sports Authority store. Entries must be received no later than store closing on 9/9/02. Only one entry per person. The Sports Authority is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, incomplete or illegible entries. Upon submission, all entries, including essays, become the property of The Sports Authority and will not be acknowledged or returned. Approximately 40,000 entry forms distributed.
2. Entries will be judged according to the following equally weighted criteria: Team spirit, Motivation, Teaching ability/Know-how, Devotion to the team/game and Awareness of each player's potential. Grammar and sentence structure will not affect score. Initial judging/screening will be conducted on or about 10/1/02 by Little & King Co., LLC, an independent judging organization from among all entries received. Final judging for the Grand Prize will be conducted by a celebrity panel, Phil Simms, Brandi Chastain and Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski), under the guidelines established by Little & King Co., LLC, whose decisions are final on all matters relating to this contest. In the event of a tie, essays with the highest score in the "Team Spirit" category will win; if there is another tie, essays with the highest score in the "Motivation" category will win. Grand Prize winners will be notified by mail. No information regarding judging or entries will be available prior to release of the Winner's List.
3. PRIZES: GRAND (1): One trip for the winning entrant and one trip for the winning entrant's coach. The writer of the winning "Coach of the Year" essay will win one trip to Sea World Adventure Park in Orlando, Florida, for the winner and winner's family (maximum 4 people) and one trip to Sea World Adventure Park in Orlando, Florida for the coach featured in the winning essay and the coach's family (maximum 4 people). Each trip includes 5 days/4 night's accommodations (single room quadruple occupancy) at the Renaissance Orlando Resort at SeaWorld, roundtrip coach airfare, courtesy of AirTran Airways. Winners will attend SeaWorld Adventure Park to experience the "Animal Care Experience," will "Dine with Shamu" and some will experience the "False Killer Whale Interaction Program." To attend the "False Killer Whale Interaction Program," winners must be 13-years-of-age or older and must be at least 52 inches tall. If winner is under 13-years-of-age and/or under 52 inches tall, an alternate prize of equal or greater value will be awarded, at the sole discretion of Sponsor at time of awarding. The winning coach will also appear in a future "Celebrity Coach's Corner" Column in The Sports Authority newspaper advertisement. Writer of the winning essay and his/her family and the coach featured in the winning essay and his/her family are not required to travel together or at the same time, but each member of both groups' party must travel together and travel must begin/end with the same major U.S. airport nearest winner and coach with the same AirTran service. Stopovers, open jaws, circle trips or frequent traveler mileages are not permitted. Once passengers are ticketed, an airline change fee must be paid by the winner to change flights or dates of travel. Travel must be completed by October 31, 2003 or prize may be forfeited. Subject to availability. Certain blackout periods and other travel restrictions may apply. Any expenses and incidentals not listed as part of the prize, including but not limited to ground transportation, meals and beverages, taxes, souvenirs, gratuities, hotel services, incidentals, room taxes and fees, are the sole responsibility of trip winners. The Renaissance Orlando Resort at SeaWorld will require a credit card or cash deposit to cover incidentals. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (who will constitute one of the four allowed to travel). All those traveling must sign an affidavit of eligibility and release. The approximate retail value of each trip is $5,000.00. First Prize (One winning essay per 201 stores: 402 total prizes): In addition to selecting Grand Prize winner, the independent judging organization will select a winning essay for every The Sports Authority store. Each first prize winner will receive one $25.00 The Sports Authority gift certificate for the winner and one $25.00 The Sports Authority gift certificate for the winner's coach. If no entries are received from a store, that store's prize will not be awarded. Total maximum value of all prizes: $20,000.00.
4. Additional Prize Restrictions: Federal, state, and local taxes are the sole responsibility of entrant/family & coach/family. Prize is not redeemable for cash and may not be extended, transferred or substituted, except that Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize becomes unavailable, as determined in its sole discretion. One prize per family.
5. Eligibility: To enter, you must be 5 - 18 years of age and a legal U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident (green card) and must reside in one of the states in the contest area listed above. Employees of The Sports Authority, (and its parent and their related subsidiary companies), SeaWorld, Renaissance Orlando Resort at SeaWorld, Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau and Little & King Co., LLC, and the immediate family members of such employees are not eligible to enter. Immediate family includes only spouses, parents and children. Winners may be required to sign, without making changes, and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release, which, among other things, releases Sponsor, prize suppliers, and a range of agents and affiliates, from any liability associated with this contest or use or acceptance of any prize. If a minor wins a prize, it will be awarded in the name of the parent or legal guardian who must execute and return the Affidavit of Eligibility and Release on behalf of his or her minor child. The Affidavit of Eligibility and Release must be received by Sponsor within 14 days of the date on the winner notification letter. Failure to complete and return the Affidavit of Eligibility and Release within 14 days may result in disqualification and forfeiture of the prize. If a winner is disqualified or ineligible for any reason, Sponsor will select the next highest scoring entry as the alternate winner. Alternate winners are subject to all requirements set forth in these Official Rules. The coach featured in the winning essay will be notified by mail, only after the winning entrant's eligibility is confirmed. As a condition of any person being permitted to travel as part of the Grand Prize package, that person ("winner's traveling companions") must complete without making changes and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release. Winners and traveling companions consent to use of their name, voice and likeness for advertising/publicity purposes in connection with this contest without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. Winning entrant's coach agrees to be featured in the "Celebrity Coach's Corner" Column in a future The Sports Authority newspaper advertisement, except where prohibited by law. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification with an alternate winner selected. By entering this contest, entrants agree to abide by these official rules and represent full compliance with these rules.
6. Miscellaneous. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Entrants agree to be bound by these official rules. Sponsor is entitled to interpret these rules as needed and its decisions are final. For a list of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped enveloped to: The Sports Authority "Coach of the Year" Winners List, c/o Little & King, 1040 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10018 by 10/30/02. This contest is sponsored by The Sports Authority, 3383 N. State Rd. 7, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33317, who is solely responsible for conducting the contest and for overseeing awarding of prizes.